Kooth receives some tempting offers

 The day after our forces and government have been dismissed by Klingon Commodore Uklik, I receive a surprise visit. I am somewhat at a loss because of the sudden capture of our beloved home world, even though it is only to be expected in the midst of a Great War between the Kzinti and their Coalition enemies.

Former Council Member Zriewk, sister of the deceased pilot Sqiath, calls on me. She is the youngest person ever to be elected to our Democratic Council, and her sheer ability led to her being tipped by many as a future Leader. All that, of course, is now a dream at best.

She has an interesting proposal for me - two, in fact. "I'll get down to business," she says, in the straightforward manner of our people. "I mourn Sqiath, but I am also realistic. I have been approached by a representative of the Daven Cartel. They are offering places to any of our personnel who might like to become mercenaries against the Coalition and, perhaps, the Kzinti." 

"I must admit to being intrigued," I reply, thoughtfully. "Daven is well known for activities across Lyran, Klingon and Kzinti space. It is even rumoured that they have a base of operations somewhere in the Federation's spinward reaches." 

Zriewk surprises me. "I have decided myself to take up their offer. I did not fight against the Klingons, but I cannot remain here as a former Council member. The Daven proposal gives me an opportunity to take action, striking back against our oppressors. They have even promised me that they will give us right of refusal - we get to pick and choose our enemies."

She is obviously restless; I wonder if something else is on her mind. She continues, "You are now the most famous of our fighters. I ask if you would lead our contingent as a mercenary force employed by the Daven. I already have the agreement of one hundred of our military personnel, including all of the pilots. They want you to be their leader."

I agree, of course. But there is more: "The Daven representative says that a cloaked Heavy Cruiser waits in orbit for our people who wish to join them. It has just been commissioned with the name Deathblow and is scheduled to take advantage of the outbreak of war by raiding Lyran space lanes behind their front against the Kzinti. It is somewhat under-crewed and our force will bring it up to full strength. I am authorised to offer you the position of Tactical Officer, which effectively makes you third-in-command of the ship."

I whistle at my sudden promotion, not to mention some new prospects. In the manner of our women, Zriewk now initiates our mating ritual with me; we wheel and dance in the sky in the complex patterns of our people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fly me to the moon

Jupiter IV SFB decals

The Lyrans are coming!